Warm Audio WA73 Microphone Preamp
If there’s one style of preamp that professional engineers would unanimously agree has defined the tone of pop/rock records for decades, it would most definitely be the venerable '73-style of mic pre. '73-style preamps have been massively used in recording and live applications for many years and are still considered to be the “Holy Grail” of preamp choices today. The Warm Audio “WA73 Family” consists of single and dual channel '73-style preamps (with & w/out EQ), that each pay careful homage to British audio history.
When we at Warm Audio decided to release the WA73 it was imperative that it met vintage expectation in both design and performance. The tone and sweet character that vintage '73-style mic preamps impart is so unique and familiar, that we had only the pure desire to release sonically accurate reproductions. After years of R&D, careful reverse-engineering, and countless hours of auditioning, the WA73 has been born!
The WA73 is a “Desert Island” boutique preamp, but it can also be classified as a studio and live work-horse. Classic '73-style preamps are known for being versatile tools that work with all kinds of microphones from Condenser, to Dynamic, to Ribbon. The WA73 equally shines on all types of microphones and sources including; vocals, acoustic/electric guitars, bass, drums, percussion, orchestras, keyboards, and even as a tone shaping tool to run partial or complete mixes through. With 80dB of gain and a fully discrete Carnhill Transformer balanced signal path, there’s no recording, mixing or engineering task that the WA73 can’t handle.
- Handwired and hand-assembled, single-channel 1073-style preamplifier
- Fully discrete, Class A, transformer-balanced circuitry
- UK-made Carnhill Transformers
- 80dB of gain handles any type of microphone, including low-output ribbons
- Resistor-stepped rotary gain switch for easy recall
- Tone button changes input transformer impedance for mic optimization and tonal shaping
- Polarity switch
- 48V phantom power
- 4-position inductor-based highpass filter, selectable for Off, 50, 80, 160, or 300Hz
- XLR mic input
- Line-level TRS input
- TS Send/Receive insert jacks
- XLR and TRS line-level outputs
- DI instrument input
- Output level control
- LED level indication meter
- Rugged 19" rackmount chassis
- Ground lift switch
- Internal IEC 115V/230V power inlet
- Preamp Type:Class A Solid State
- Number of Channels:1
- Phantom Power:Yes
- Polarity Switch:Yes
- EQ:Highpass 50Hz, 80Hz, 160Hz, 300Hz
- Analog Inputs:1 x 1/4" (Hi-Z), 1 x XLR (mic), 1 x 1/4" (line)
- Analog Outputs:1 x XLR, 1 x 1/4"
- Channel Inserts:Yes
- Rack Spaces:1U
- Power Source:Standard IEC AC cable